I just got a text from one of the Zehut Party activists that primaries for the party will be soon. I’m not very active on the ground at the moment as I have zero patience for grunt work and politicking. However, I am vaguely familiar with the Zehut crowd as I’ve been to a few key events, and they generally strike me as thoughtful people, not libertarian theorists by any stretch but they do have a better sense of what liberty is than most people.
That’s pretty good.
An internal poll commissioned by Zehut and done by Ma’agar Mochot saw Zehut getting up to 15 seats. That means if I can get a slot up to 15-20 I may actually get in.
If I do run, my campaign will be extremely simple and cheap. My platform will simply be this:
- I will not be running to be a Knesset Member, or חבר כנסת, literally “Friend of the Knesset”. I will be running to be a Knesset Enemy, or אויב כנסת. I will be a Member of Am Yisrael, not The Knesset.
- As an Enemy of Knesset and Member of Am Yisrael , I will vote against any law that decreases liberty for Am Yisrael and/or increases the power of the State.
- As an enemy of Knesset, I will vote for any law that increases liberty and/or decreases the power of the State.
- Any law that both increases and decreases liberty, or both increases and decreases the power of the State in certain respects, I will have to judge on a case-by-case basis as to whether State power or liberty is increased on net, and I will explain each decision I have made, and I will be open to discussion about it before voting with whoever wants to speak with me about it.
- I will not be subject to any coalition discipline from anybody, not even Moshe Feiglin. I am not his chassid, though I will listen to his opinions and take them into account.
- I will not accept a single shekel in State salary or subsidies for any purpose whatsoever. I will not drive a state car or use any of its money for any reason. If I am elected an Enemy of Knesset, I will do it for free. I will be accepting voluntary donations for my time however, for defending the liberty of everyone. Any money forced into my bank account by thugs will either be burned and inflation returned to the People or donated back to Zehut for the purpose of shrinking the State.
- I promise to make my opening Knesset speech a thing for the books. I will drag that place through the dirt and I will not hide my contempt and hatred for all politicians in that building.
If you want me to run, comment here and let me know.
6 thoughts on “Thinking about Running on the Zehut Ticket”
This was re-posted here:
Run, Rafi Run! As founding lifetime member, I’ll vote for you.
As Carol Paul said to Ron back in the 70’s, the danger is that I could win. I don’t know what my wife would do in such a situation.
I’d rather you didn’t, but if you do, I won’t be voting for you. Libertarianism is one thing. Anarchism is another. I don’t think the latter is compatible with Zehut’s message.
regardless of whatever ism category you want to put me in, I doubt you disagree with anything in my platform. Plus, there would be zero chance of me ever privatizing the army or the court system, so practically I would only function as a minarchist with a libertarian message. I’d understand if you’d be nervous voting for me as Prime minister, because then I would try to privatize the army and that makes you nervous. But in the Knesset I would have nothing near that power, so it’s in your best interest to vote for me just for the spectacle of me ripping the government and spreading hard money ideas.
And in the event of a mass attack by Iran or something, I would vote to mobilize the government army, if that comforts you. I would, however, vote against any increase in the army’s budget.
I would also be on your side on the gay issue, whereas Moshe could fall on either side.
I’m not a libertarian, but I kinda like your platform as a general guideline for a politician. So go for it!